Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Duck Consommé…is a process with delicious benefits!





Roasted Duck with a Maple Pepper Glaze

I had added an Appetizer to the Fall Class line up of “Duck Consommé with wild Mushroom Ravioli”.
Some folks write the great novel in the wee hours of the evening…I write menus!  So when I was adding this to the said “Great Novel” over 6 months ago, I was inspired for the Fall October Menu to include the delicate taste of Duck Consommé and a tender pasta puff.
So flash forward as our October Classes are quickly approaching.  Running a little skinny on time, I thought maybe there is some source that offers a wonderful Duck Consommé concentrate.  Just maybe on this very sophisticated October Feast…there would be a short cut.  I should have known better!
When you want quality luscious Duck essence…you got to make it from scratch!
So, a little part of our busy day today was devoted to “doing it right”.  In came the duck and we went to work…but here is what I forgot!  This is a job with bennies!  If you love to eat that is!  We prepared a crisp Duck today for one reason; I needed the bones for my stock.  So the bird was cooked and it is such a simple 1 – 2 -3 –voila!  The results produced the needed stock components…but also yielded tender Duck Confit to keep and amazing duck for dinner.
So here are a few pictures of the process and as you can see the final result of the roasted duck is beautiful and I can attest delicious. 
Pierce duck skin with fork all over...
Cover with boiling water  (this tightens the skin) cool/drain
Liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper...okay, I did use a few pats of butter! 
 (we baked for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees and glazed with maple syrup and black pepper last 5 mins)
 But the real mission has not been diverted; we are now preparing the most wonderful Duck Consommé by a slow simmer of the roasted bones, fresh onions, carrots, celery, peppercorns…and a beautiful fall apple.  This is going to just keep on getting better. 
So I will post the final dish of Duck Consommé with Wild Mushroom Ravioli…but only my students and guest will be able to tell us if it was all worth it.  Let’s hope they post!  Enjoying every Fall minute and the sharing with you my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment