Friday, May 13, 2011

Morel Mushrooms....caviar of the woods!

Woodland Morels...the caviar of the woods!
As a mushroom lover and cook...there is a special magic in the air when we arrive at "Morel" Season.  As any good treasure hunter will swear, I cannot disclose the location of my finds!   As I have heard constant comments on the extremely rainy Spring we have had...I discovered a wonderful bonus.   The Morels love it!  So I have gone a hunting, cooked as many incredible Morels as a body could (should!) consume and dried the rest.  So I will be planning on using the dried Morels and their wonderful essence (reconstituted broth) in my Sauces classes for May.  I had not expected to have these delicate treats so available - but here they are and we are going to enjoy the treasures together.  I did a test recipe using a classic Bechamel sauce, slowly cooked for 20 minutes, velvety smooth - incorporated some Morel essence with a little white wine....no,  I am not done - added a little finely ground Parmesan cheese...and a chase of butter to finish.  Give me something to put this sauce on quick- because I love it all by itself!  Happy hunting my friends...but if you are headed to any of the May Classes in Ohio or South Carolina  (www.kitchensbounty.com) you are in for a delicious extravagance! ( I shall post this recipe on line to share with everyone...after the Month of May.)
SAUCE READY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment